Working with temperature and massage always gives rise to considerations and things to be aware of. There are many contraindications in stone massage, though fortunately in most cases they just mean the treatment needs to be adjusted.
It is very important that I, as your therapist, am told if you have any medical or health issues. A simple thing like high blood pressure can be negatively affected by heat. I need to know this, so that I can lower the temperatures and adjust the treatment to fit your specific case.
Contraindications and considerations
- Any disease where there is nerve damage or neuropathy, eg. from surgery, multiple sclerosis, diabetes
- Any skin condition which might be worsened by moisture and heat
- If on prescription medicine which may have side effects due heat or temperature changes
- Heart diseases and too high/low blood pressure
- Overweight, obese or underweight
- Being sick or feeling very weak
- Varicose veins
- All autoimmune dysfunctions, such as AIDS, cancer, chronic fatigue syndrome where the immune system is already taxed
- Emotional and mental disorders, where the brain and nervous system are challenged
- Thin skin, eg older people or on Cortisone medications
- Young children
- And any situation where normal Swedish massage is contraindicated
All the above conditions mean that I need to adjust the treatment so the body is not challenged too much. The purpose of a LaStone® session is to tone and strengthen the body, not tax it and make it weaker. In most cases, if your doctor allows you to take hot baths, use a sauna, drink ice-cold water and have a massage, then you can receive a full LaStone® treatment without concerns.
Please do inform me about your situation in advance, so that I can tailor the session to suit your needs and support your body in its healing process.
Comments are closed.